Only one more set of swaps to go. I am still loving the blocks I'm getting. Can't wait to make these up. I have pretty much decided to set them on point with shirting in between. The big decision - do I pick one shirting to use for all the alternate blocks or do I use a variety to go for a super scrappy look?? Comments appreciated.
My Guild is pretty big and has four regular meetings per month. On the odd months where we have five Saturdays, we hold a special meeting. We don't get as many people to this one, and it's a good opportunity to work on projects that require a bit more room.
I had two quilts which needed to be basted, so I figured using the tables are Guild would be better than scramling around on the floor!!
So here is the quilt duct taped to the table. I needle and thread basted, I'd don't trust myself with pins!!
I thought I'd finished this one but the more I looked at it, the more I wasn't happy with it. Because I'd changed the design slightly, to make the orange blocks asymetrical, it needed another vertical row of grey blocks on the left. And once I'd added that row, I needed to add a bottom and top border.
Now I've got to work out what to do with the backing. I want to do a pieced backing but trying to line up the orange blocks is a bit of a nightmare.
Sorry for the quality of the photo but it was blowing a gale and this was the best I could do.
I'm trying to get as many of my WIP's finished as possible. I only had eight of the granny squares done. Below I used my new block design boards to put together another twelve blocks ready to be sewn.
Rather than work with HST (with their biased edges) for the outer edges, I used full squares and then trimmed them down. There is a small bit of waste but allows for much better accuracy for the completed block.
I now have another 12 blocks ready to sew. Once they are done I will be up to 30 blocks. And I still have enough squares to make a few more blocks as well.
I've never really used my Sizzix much for quilting, mainly because most of their quilt templates are for applique, though they are producing more piecing templates now.
Accucut have put out a whole range aimed at quilters. I can't really justify buying another machine, but one of the members of my Guild has one and let me borrow it. I was keen because there was one die I really wanted to use, Blazing Star.
I had to make it hard on myself by wanting to reverse the pattern, I wanted the dark on the left rather than the right of the pattern.
I decided to use the batiks I'd been collecting. I am really happy with how they turned out. I've got a heap of pieces cut out. I just need to sit down and decide on pairings.
For such a complicated looking block, it goes together really easily and without having to be super careful about accuracy. I can't wait to do some more.
I have another grand niece on the way, so time for a quilt. I made this one from some left over blocks from my Japanese Cross and Plus Quilt. Used a slightly different layout. I also used some left over batting and backing I already had. I like to think this process is what patchwork is all about!!
Here is miss Hattie modelling the finished top.
Some closeups. Nothing fancy with the quilting. This is made to be used, on the floor, whereever and then thrown in the washer and dryer.
I had hoped to post this on the day I visited the show. But when I got home my phone line was dead and it took 4 days for it to get fixed. So my review of the new venue won't be of much help to those who attended after me.
For the record, the new venue was pretty good. The natural light was ALOT better than Darling Harbour. The aisles were wider but it was colder in the morning, but was nice and warm by lunch time. I went by charter bus and I think this was a good call. There seemed to be alot of parking, but you'd want to know your way around Sydney to drive there. I'd recommend bus or ferry (which both stopped right in front of the entrance).
Here is the full set of swag. In my defence, I save up all year for this one and it is my big spending spree for the year and I did come home with money left. For some reason, there didn't seem to be as much there this year.
This one is a Japanese bag pattern. I don't normally do bags or patterns, but this one seemed pretty simple and was cute. I bought a kit that had some of the fabric required. I have enough in my taupe stash to make this one. If it's easy to make, I will make a few for the Guild stall at the exhibition. The cloth buttons were a great buy.
These ones are metreage. They were only $5m, so I got a couple of the civil war repro, I hope to swap some of that with people.
This was my last purchase of the day. I was only going to buy this if I hadn't made any other big purchases. I have some flannels already but not enough to make a decent sized quilt. Now I should have plenty!! The big piece on the right side is the backing (also flannel). So with wool batting, this should be a very snuggly quilt!
I got a few more for my Japanese taupe collection. I really like the two cream ones on the right, lots of nice texture!!
I also got some goreguous Japanese silk jackets for super cheap prices. I will do a serparate post for those.
This post is a doozy!! We didn't have a meeting in April, and then the next meeting the person running the swap didn't have time to stay and swap at the meeting, so she took them home. So last meeting, I got three months worth of swaps back, and since I'm doing double, that means I got 60 blocks back in one go!!
Here is the swap before last, where I handed in two lots. These are each of the piles of my four sets, plus a pile of the leader and ender blocks I am making at the moment.