20 November 2014

Sunkissed Granny Square #2 Quilting Done

I made this quilt from the "leftover" blocks from Sunkissed Granny Square #1. This one doesn't have much pink in it. Most grey, yellow, orange and greens.

This one was a bit of a disaster. When I basted it, it went wonky. I was going to send it to a long armer, but I decided I didn't want to spend money on something that will only be a utility quilt. So I decided to give it a go. But I wanted to do something different on the border. I figured something a bit less structured than cross hatch might hide the puckering in the basting. I also wanted something other than basic straight line. So I decided on cable. I know the corners are wrong, but I didn't have the brain space to work it out. So I went with what was there.

I did the middle section with the blocks in a basic cross hatch. Normally, I work from one side to the other for half, then turn and repeat. That way, you only ever have half the quilt under the throat of the machine. This time though, I did it all in one direction. I found that when I then did the opposite direction to make the cross hatch, it worked much better, no bunching up.


I did all the cable quilting using the walking foot. It worked out pretty well for a first try, I think!!


I am thinking of putting in a third line of quilting into the middle, to make it look more like traditional cable. 



0 comments: